Château médiéval

Château de Gruyères
Château médiéval


Mentionné pour la première fois dans les archives en 1244, le château est la résidence principale d’une des plus importantes familles nobles de la Suisse occidentale au Moyen Age : les comtes de Gruyère. Bâti au XIIIe siècle, le château emprunte un plan architectural dit « carré savoyard », modèle militaire développé par la Maison de Savoie, dont les comtes sont vassaux. L’édifice est protégé par une enceinte presque carrée, flanquée d’un donjon, d’une tour et d’échauguettes à ses coins.

D’importants travaux initiés au XVe siècle par le comte Louis transforment le château fort en demeure seigneuriale. D’élégantes galeries en pierre, percées de larges fenêtres, remplacent une partie des galeries en bois, une tour escalier vient s’appuyer sur le corps de logis et une chapelle est érigée dans une ancienne tourelle défensive.

Pendant près de cinq siècles, les comtes vont diriger depuis Gruyères un important territoire constitué de châtellenies de part et d’autre de la Sarine, mais aussi des seigneuries (Palézieux, Oron ou Aubonne). Certains comtes s’illustrent également sur les champs de bataille pendant la guerre de Cent Ans ou aux côtés des Confédérés pendant les guerres de Bourgogne. La dynastie s’éteint avec Michel, qui assailli par les problèmes financiers se voit confisquer ses propriétés en 1554 par ses principaux créanciers, Berne et Fribourg.

 

Welcome on our website. The english full version is under development and will be online soon. Please find hereunder the basic information about our castle and how to find us. If you need more information, please contact us at info@chateau-gruyeres.ch.

Presentation     Opening Hours     Entry fees     Location

 

Presentation

Gruyères Castle has stood proudly atop a verdant hill in the heart of Switzerland since the 13th century.

Surrounded by the magnificent panorama of the Alpine foothills, the medieval fortress has been home first to the counts who built it, then to the bailiffs of Fribourg, and finally the Bovy and Balland families from Geneva, before opening its doors to the public in 1938.

Today, the castle houses prestigious collections that bear witness to its long and rich history. The treasures to be found within its walls include the capes of the Order of the Golden Fleece and the intricate stained-glass windows dating from the Middle Ages; the frescoes commissioned by the bailiffs under the Ancien Régime; paintings by Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot; and the troubadour decorations of the Knights’ Hall, created at Gruyères in the 19th century by a colony of passionate artists. From its ramparts to its Frenchstyle gardens, from the guard room to its romantic salons, Gruyères Castle takes you on an adventure through eight centuries of art, history and legends.

Opening Hours

The castle is open eveyday of the year, 9am to 6pm from april to october and 10am to 5pm from november to march.

The castle’s visit takes about 1 hour.

Entry fees

Adults : CHF 12.00
Retired, students : CHF 8.00
Groups (starting from 15 « adult » entries) : CHF 8.00
Kids (from 6 to 15) : CHF 4.00
Under 6 years : free
Families (2 adults, 3 children under 16) : CHF 25.00

If you visit the same day another museum in Gruyères (Maison du Gruyère, Tibet Museum, HR Giger Museum), ask for a combined ticket with the castle.

All credit cards are accepted. Euros notes are accepted but the change is given back in Swiss Francs.

Location

https://goo.gl/maps/ZETJxaEsAqB2

to come by public transportation
www.cff.ch/horaire