Siège des baillis

Salle des bailis
Siège des baillis


Suite à la banqueroute du comte Michel en 1554, Berne et Fribourg se partagent les territoires de l’ancien comté. Fribourg prend possession de l’actuelle Gruyère et installe ses représentants, les baillis, au château. Chargés de l’administration de la région, ils rendent la justice, dirigent les finances, gèrent les domaines et perçoivent les taxes.

Entre 1554 et 1798, plus de cinquante baillis issus de grandes familles fribourgeoises se succèdent à Gruyères. Sous leur administration, Leurs Excellences de Fribourg poursuivent l’extension des pâturages alpestres, accroissent la production fromagère et son exportation vers les marchés étrangers. Supportant le transport sur de longues distances, les meules de gruyère prennent la route de Vevey où elles sont embarquées sur des bateaux qui les transportent jusqu’à Lyon, en France.

Les baillis et leurs successeurs, les préfets, occupent la forteresse jusqu’en 1848, date à laquelle la préfecture du nouveau district de la Gruyère est établie à Bulle. Considéré comme un symbole de l’ancien bailliage et comme trop coûteux à l’entretien, le château est alors mis en vente et est acquis par une famille genevoise.

Welcome on our website. The english full version is under development and will be online soon. Please find hereunder the basic information about our castle and how to find us. If you need more information, please contact us at info@chateau-gruyeres.ch.

Presentation     Opening Hours     Entry fees     Location

 

Presentation

Gruyères Castle has stood proudly atop a verdant hill in the heart of Switzerland since the 13th century.

Surrounded by the magnificent panorama of the Alpine foothills, the medieval fortress has been home first to the counts who built it, then to the bailiffs of Fribourg, and finally the Bovy and Balland families from Geneva, before opening its doors to the public in 1938.

Today, the castle houses prestigious collections that bear witness to its long and rich history. The treasures to be found within its walls include the capes of the Order of the Golden Fleece and the intricate stained-glass windows dating from the Middle Ages; the frescoes commissioned by the bailiffs under the Ancien Régime; paintings by Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot; and the troubadour decorations of the Knights’ Hall, created at Gruyères in the 19th century by a colony of passionate artists. From its ramparts to its Frenchstyle gardens, from the guard room to its romantic salons, Gruyères Castle takes you on an adventure through eight centuries of art, history and legends.

Opening Hours

The castle is open eveyday of the year, 9am to 6pm from april to october and 10am to 5pm from november to march.

The castle’s visit takes about 1 hour.

Entry fees

Adults : CHF 12.00
Retired, students : CHF 8.00
Groups (starting from 15 « adult » entries) : CHF 8.00
Kids (from 6 to 15) : CHF 4.00
Under 6 years : free
Families (2 adults, 3 children under 16) : CHF 25.00

If you visit the same day another museum in Gruyères (Maison du Gruyère, Tibet Museum, HR Giger Museum), ask for a combined ticket with the castle.

All credit cards are accepted. Euros notes are accepted but the change is given back in Swiss Francs.

Location

https://goo.gl/maps/ZETJxaEsAqB2

to come by public transportation
www.cff.ch/horaire